This project is taking a break, likely for good. Thank you to the dozens of people around the world who have shared their stories and created a community around this long-neglected issue. You can still contact me here, especially if you’d like to “come out,” if you’re with the media or if you’d like to improve society’s responses to suicidal thinking. You can also reach out to the many wonderful people behind the projects on our Resources page.

A lot has happened in this project’s two years. We’ve made history by speaking up and pushing for recognition, accelerating a process that just a handful of brave people had started.

And yet, people continue to ask about suicidal thoughts and actions, “Why would you want to do that to yourself?” What a shocking and fundamental misunderstanding. The question, as with any potentially fatal health issue, should be, “Why is this happening to the people we love?”

People also ask what can be done to stop suicides. We can do this: Tell the world that suicidal thinking can happen to any of us, and that seeking help and support won’t result in punishment.

Our challenge is in making sure the second part of that statement is true.

Advertisements

1. Wow!!!! I discovered this site just weeks after my own attempt in 2013. Since that time, I’ve looked forward to the new posts, the new perceptions, new advocacy issues, the stories filled with hope and the stories filled with the reality of continuing life after an attempt.

May your new ventures bring you peace and ease. Thank you so much for investing so much of your time into the healing of others.

Jessica @ ilostmy30s.tumblr.com

2. Why would you take a break possibly for good if your project is helping people? I for one have found your blogs very helpful. To not have this resource is another door closing.

3. Enter your comment here…I remember sitting in a hotel room on Jekyll Island two years ago and discovering this blog. It’s been a fantastic two years. This blog has been one of the most effective vehicles in helping many a suicide attempt survivor in coming out, in coming out without shame, in standing proud. And I echo the subject of this post, Thank You!

4. Thank you dear one, for all you have done for me. In coming out I discovered a whole other part of myself, which perhaps was my best part. And now I have the courage to share it with others who may find use for it. I wish I could do more. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for that gift.

5. Thank you, Cara, for all of the work you did with this project. You are an incredible positive power of example. I do sincerely hope, your absence will be temporary, not permanent. And thank you for giving your time, your experience and your voice to the attempt survivor documentary, “A Voice at the Table.”

6. It took 20 for cancer to no longer be whispered as”the ‘C’ word”. What has been accomplished here in only two years is a testament that we do matter, we can make a difference and we DO make a difference. This project was, and still is, a significant source of strength for me and countless others. It has incubated ideas that have gone on to take on a life of their own for the betterment of a cause that needs heralding. If there is a way to pass the torch, please find it. Many more besides myself benefit from this project every day. That said, THANK YOU for all you have done and may blessings be with you wherever you go.

7. Thank you for all your work, this was an inspiring blog and I looked forward to every post. Thank you especially for interviewing me, twice. Good luck with all your future goals.

8. thank you for your efforts…. and I hope they continue! You have been a help to so many. Peace to you.

9. What a great project This has been. I enjoyed every interview. Thank you for everything you have done for suicide awareness.. Hopefully i will see you in The future. Be blessed.

10. Following up on the historically groundbreaking creation of the AAS Attempt Survivor/ Lived Experience Division in 2014, AAS is now very pleased and proud to announce the Paul G. Quinnett Lived Experience Writing Contest. The writing contest will afford those with lived experience of suicidal ideation/ behavior across the world the opportunity to tell their important, untold stories for the first time. The writing contest will run annually, and will include cash prizes of $1500, $1000, and $500 for the top three submissions. AAS is grateful to Paul Quinnett, Ph.D, for his sponsorship of the contest, and we are incredibly pleased to be providing yet another opportunity to bolster the voice of those with lived experience… voices which until recently, had gone unheard.
    Please join us in spreading the word far and wide re: this exciting opportunity!
    Please go to the American Association for Suicide Prevention to find out how you can enter your story of survival. Your story could help someone else!

11. I am hopeful that this outstanding project for suicide attempt survivors will be only taking a break and that something changes to allow it to continue on. I have learned so much from reading the many contributing posts here and know many others have as well. Each person who shares their story speaks to another who may not yet be ready to tell theirs. It allows us to see suicide from different and unique perspectives that we may not have considered before. This project has been a safe place for all attempt survivors to speak openly of their journeys, sharing how suicide has impacted their lives and where they are now. Those stories offer tremendous hope to others who may not have hope or in such little supply, that they’re contemplating ending their lives. Hearing from others who have attempted, survived and emerged can help motivate and encourage others to live, to seek out the help that is available and to not give up until they find what works for them.

I have referred many of my Suicide Shatters Facebook members/fans to your blog. I know how important it is for those who have attempted or are contemplating suicide to hear from others who have walked similar paths. I was thrilled when AAS was the first to offer such a much needed and valuable resource and to then also be first at declaring an attempt survivor division. Much progress has been made thanks to the hard work of Cara and the others contributing here. It takes enormous energy and dedication to put something like this in place and as you’ve shared, there is still so much to learn and the questions that continue to be asked, show how little is truly understood about something that claims the lives of so many. It can be discouraging and most definitely an uphill battle and shows so much more education and awareness is needed.

I encourage those who have never been suicidal or struggled with suicidal thoughts to do their best to put themselves in the shoes of those who have attempted and thankfully survived, or to those contemplating ending their lives. Empathy is a beautiful gift, however, many have not developed it well or get so caught up in their own often overwhelming emotions that they’re unable to do this. We can’t ever know exactly how someone else is feeling but we can do our best to get as educated as we can on whatever mental illnesses those we care about are living with. Learn what their illness is, how it changes how they think and feel and most importantly – how we best can support them in healthy ways, not adding or contributing to their struggle and pain. It’s a lot to ask of lay people, but essential if we’re going to have a fighting chance of understanding and getting them the help they need.

Education is vital to turning around the stigma and lack of knowledge surrounding suicide. Letting everyone know that absolutely no one is immune to suicidal thoughts and that there are many reasons and causes helps. Helping those in need get the professional support they need is imperative as well for they face many obstacles in finding a good treatment team they can trust and it takes much time to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan in place. Having healthy support systems with family and friends makes a huge difference and as you’ve also shared, letting them know seeking help and support won’t result in punishment is critical. As far too many know, that isn’t always the case and my hope is that one day, no one experiencing these life threatening thoughts and the illnesses that often accompany them will face any punishment and will be treated with dignity, respect and compassionate, competent, easily accessible care.

Thank you Cara for all you’ve done putting this project together. I will miss the weekly posts that I look forward to each week and keep my fingers crossed that they return. You have made a huge difference to the lives of many and I am forever grateful for each and every attempt survivor who contributed here. We are so very fortunate to have you still here with us, sharing so personally to help each of us learn more.

12. I appreciate the time and effort you have spent in trying to bring the conversation of suicide to the public’s attention. I have really enjoyed reading all of your articles on the websites talkingaboutsuicide.com and attemptsurviors.com and found them to be very helpful.
    I am so disappointed to read your latest posts on both of these websites announcing the end of your posting any new posts. It is such a shame that they must come to an end and that someone else can’t take them over considering that there are not that many websites devoted to the subject of suicide. As you’re well aware, survivors of suicide attempts and those having suicidal thoughts spend many hours searching on the internet trying to find helpful information about suicide and dealing with suicidal thoughts. It is unfortunate that there is a lack of resources dealing with the subject matter. Again, thank you for all your hard work, I only wish you could find a way to keep these sites going with new posts about others coping with the same problems, I wish you all the best in your future.

13. Wow this post sounds just like a suicide note – thanks and goodbye? I appreciate all that you all have done and sharing lessons learned but it would be great to know more .. oh well thanks